Sunday, June 14, 2015

Working Life in Shanghai

Before I begin, I'd like to apologize for not keeping up with my blog. I actually have a draft written on June 2nd, but I haven't finished it due to the amount of effort I need to put into it, lol. I'm lazy, very lazy. China has made me lazy. But I do intend to finish it, because it was an experience that I enjoyed A LOT. However, that's not what I came here to talk about. I'm here to talk about what I've been up to in the last two weeks.

Two weeks in China is like a week back home. Times flies by super fast when you're being kept busy -- busy with work, friends, sightseeing, eating, etc. There's so much to take in all at once. It's tiring, yet exciting. I can't really describe my feelings about this trip just yet, but don't worry, I'll write a reflection after everything is over ^____^

So what exactly have I done in Shanghai? First and foremost, work. Every Monday to Friday, I get up at 8 am and take the subway to my work place. It takes about 30 minutes and is only two stops away. Very convenient! I arrive to work promptly at 9 am and then work until 5 pm. You may be wondering what exactly do I do at work...well, I have my own cubicle, I revise English translations, I attend meetings, I create PowerPoints, etc. The most exciting thing that I do at work, however, doesn't happen on weekdays but on weekends -- typically Saturdays. Because I am interning with a company that focuses on concerts and events, I get to actually work at these concerts. My job is to help with the backstage area, but I also get to walk around and sometimes even watch the concert itself! It's interesting to see how everything comes together -- from paper and the meeting room to the venue and actual show. There's a big, big, BIG show happening this weekend, so I might or might not blog about it ;)

Also, one thing -- it's incredible to see the importance of developing 关系 (or relationships) in the workplace. Chinese business culture is all about building mutual trust and relationships, because honestly, who wants to do business with someone unlikable or untrustworthy. Makes sense right? My Chinese co-workers are always trying to find ways to exercise some "team bonding," and it's not the typical "team bonding" we're used to in America. Team bonding in China extends far beyond formal settings; it's personal and informal. We have lunch with each other every day on a round table (freee lunch, hahaha), we joke around and give each other little goodies, our supervisors insist we go out clubbing with them LOL, etc. It's hard to describe, but I see it in action everyday. In addition, my co-workers only speak Chinese to me. It's incredibly beneficial, as I feel my listening skills improving every single day.

Anyways, besides work, I have also done a lot of eating and exploring. I've been to the bund (will post a picture later on), fake markets, Tianzifang (adorable, but pricey area due to its touristy nature), 永康路, etc. I've had 2元 wings at The Shed (SO GOOOOD - it's every Wednesday), cheap kebabs on the street, Yang's Dumplings, 10元 = $1.50 bubble tea from CoCo, 6元 ice cream from Family Mart (omg, very very good. I always get the mango flavored, but they also have vanilla and strawberry), etc. I've also done A LOT of clubbing and dropped 400元 at S2 for a fruit platter (long story).

All in all, the past two weeks have been quite eventful. I haven't even gotten to the meat of my experiences here, but because that would take forever to write about, I'll hopefully just remember to blog about the next six weeks that I am here!

Until Next Time,
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment