Friday, August 2, 2013

便宜 is my Favorite Word Pt. 3

Friday (July 26)
I forgot to mention in my last post that a cockroach appeared during 张老师's class. It was huge and disgusting. My class spent 15 minutes screaming our heads off and trying to kill it. It was 7 girls against 1 roach. Pretty funny if you ask me. I have a video of  the battle, but I'll upload and post that when I return to Hawaii. After lunch, the NSLI-Y group headed to Lingyin Temple for a cultural excursion. It was interesting, but incredibly hot. Oh, something I forgot to mention was that yesterday was, apparently, the hottest day in Hangzhou since...forever. It was the hottest day, yet I walked an hour to Michelle's place just to go dancing l o l. 

Saturday (July 27)
Michelle, Alex and I went to the stationary store today. I found out that the stationary store is only 2 blocks away from my house, so I decided to walk there. First, I met up with Alex at the bus stop a block away from the store. When we walked closer to the store, the strangest thing happened. There were young guys (they looked around 19 or 20) handing out advertisements. When we got closer to them, one of the guys came up to me and started pushing the flyers in my face. When I told him "不要" over and over again, he grabbed my arm and pulled me closer to him. At the same time, he was speaking Chinese to me, but I couldn't understand him. Alex started hitting his arm to get him away from me.  Later, I found out that he was calling me 妹妹 (little sister) the whole time. Why? I don't know. That  guy was crazy. 

When we got to the stationary store, we met up with Michelle. She brought us to the place she bought her stationary items from. Let me tell you guys, the place is HEAVEN. There were so many pens, white-out, erasers, paper, and many more for dirt cheap! The pens were all ¥2-3 each. How cheap is that? That is less than $0.50 per pen. I think I bought around 5 white-outs, 3 pencil cases, 3 stationary paper sets, 25 pens, and 3 erasers. The total came out to about¥120, which is about $20.  

Michelle and I literally spent 3 hours in the stationary store. Alex left us to go buy her stamp. When she came back, we were still in the same store. She had to pry us away from all of these cute stationary items! Ah, I love China. I stocked up on pens and etc for my friends back home. All of the pens are the extra fine-tip ones, too-- perfect for writing Chinese characters! 

When we left the store and walked back to the front, the guys that harassed Alex and I were still there. When one of the guys (the one that held onto my arm) saw me again, he opened his arms (like someone waiting for a hug) and ran to me. Needless to say, I shouted "不要" and ran away. Those guys were incredibly creepy. I just wish I could understand what he was saying to me in Chinese. The strangest thing was that the guy was only harassing me...and not Alex or Michelle. I don't understand. 


When I got home, I skyped with my friends back home. I basically showed them all of the items that I bought from the stationary store and allowed them to choose which one they wanted. At 7:30 pm, my host mom, sister and I went dancing in the park again. It was fun~

Sunday (July 28)
Unfortunately, I did not do much today. I stayed home and read Jane Eyre for my homework for school back home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment